If you want to make the Panda Express Grilled Asian Chicken at home, here is the recipe. It is a favorite of many people because of its taste and uniqueness. After having this at Panda Express, many individuals would try it at home but get confused with lots of things, such as which spices to use. Cooking Chinese food is not complicated if you can follow the steps carefully. Also, you can get the sauce readymade in stores and online. That will ease your cooking. The ingredients mentioned here are all found in your kitchen. The best part about the recipe is that you use fresh thighs and not cut up small pieces of chicken. If you do not know how to grill the chicken or what ingredients to use, we have got everything here.
Related articles about Panda Express Grilled Asian Chicken
We all know takeout is fun and simple- you just walk into Panda Express and order and they bring it in front of you. Although making Chinese dishes at home can be somewhat of a hassle, it is much more healthier and you can make it for the whole family by increasing the portion size. Weeknights can be troublesome when you do not what to feed the family. To make the meal time fun, prepare this and everyone will love your dish. Grilled Asian Chicken is easy to make but comes with some tricks such as getting the sauce at the perfect thickness and not overcooking the chicken.
- 5 pounds chicken thighs
- One-fourth cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. canola oil
- Two-third cup sugar
- half teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- half teaspoon garlic powder
- 5 ounces of water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch combined with water
- Add the oil to the chicken pieces while you oil for the grill pan to get hot. The oil we are using is canola oil. It is one of the best for health of the heart. We are using this because of its high smoke point, light flavor, perfect texture and being so useful. Many people use olive oil but that double amount of saturated fats than this oil. It is cholesterol free and a nice source of Vitamin E. The reason for this explanation is that you do not use another oil and experts say it is the best oil for grilling.
- Here you have to carefully place the thighs on the grill. You have to grill each side for more than three minutes but less than five. When it is about grilling chicken pieces, many professional cooks also get scared. The reason is that you need to get the right color and ensure that is cooked through. You cannot overcook it neither leave it raw inside. Also, chicken thighs are somewhat challenging that chicken breasts.
- Place a pot on the stove and soy sauce, sugar, ground ginger, garlic powder and the water and let it boil. Ground ginger can be used in many cases and not just for grilling chicken. You can make a honey mixture with it, ginger liniment, syrup, medicinal vinegar, tincture, capsules, salve, oil and fizz. You can also make herbal jelly, compress and tea.
- When you want it boil in step 3, you should have the flame to be high. Later on, you can get it to be less once you see bubbles. If you have less heat from the start, it will not boil and the cooking time will be delayed. You have to get the temperature to be less and cook it for few minutes. Add the cornstarch and water mix so the cornstarch makes the mixture thick. Not does it make the sauce thick but adds a lot of glaze and shine to it. Besides the appearance, it also makes it taste better.
- Add the sauce over the chicken and serve with rice or noodles. While it is being grilled, you can try brushing the sauce into it. You can serve with a lemon wedge because that gives it a rustic look and if you are having guests over, that should make it look amazing.
- The chicken should not be frozen neither cold. If you are using fresh chicken thighs, that is wonderful. If you are using frozen that is good too as long as you are thawing it. Let it come to a normal temperature so that you can grill to perfection. The name is “grilled Asian Chicken” thus emphasis on the grilling part more than anything.
- Cornstarch is a popular agent for thickening in cooking but adding it straightaway without mixing in cold water will make it form solids. You have to make a slurry with any cold liquid and in this case, water.
- Cornstarch is not added at the beginning because if you add it at first it will lose its thickening properties and make the sauce liquidly and thin. The paste should not be too runny as well. Wait for the boil before you make and add the slurry. Cooking cornstarch from the start will break down the starch and make the sauce thin.
- Measuring spoons can help when you are trying to make a copycat recipe of Panda Express as it will make it as similar as possible to the original restaurant. If you can get it to be as close as Panda Express, it will have a dramatic flavor.
- Always chicken before you serve the chicken whether it is cooked or not. There are many ways you can do it. Grab yourself one, open and see inside if it is done or not. You can also use a thermometer. Never serve uncooked chicken to your family or guests. A meat thermometer is recommended.
- Do not deal with the raw chicken on a wooden surface and wash your hands before you start to carry on with the cooking.
- If you are cooking for the family or there are several thighs, do not use a small bowl when mixing the oil to the chicken pieces. It will not coat the chicken properly if the bowl is too small.