The recipe you will see here is going to get you something similar to the Panda Express Orange Chicken. Many regulars of Panda Express are always trying to find out how to cook it at home so they do not need to go out every time they crave for it. Also, if you are making it at home, you can serve it up for the whole family by increasing the ingredients, mainly the amount of the chicken.
Related articles about Panda Express Orange Chicken
Preparing Panda Express Orange Chicken at Home
You might think it is impossible to make this at home but it is not. Here is an unchallenging and simple recipe that anybody can cook. The best part is that all the ingredients should already be in your kitchen.
It uses everyday ingredients like oil, pepper, eggs, ginger and flour. It might take some time to make, particularly covering the chicken thighs. At the end, it is going to be worth it. Since now you are going to find out how to make it, prepare it more often at home and surprise your family with a beautiful meal that they will love to indulge in.
Panda Express Orange Chicken Ingredients
2.5 lbs. boneless chicken pieces, preferably thighs
2 tsp salt
5g black pepper
4 tbsp. oil
Half cup cornstarch
2 oz. flour
Half ginger minced
2 tsp. red chili pepper
2 tbsp. cornstarch
2 oz. water
Sesame oil 1.5 tsp
3 tbsp. soy sauce
9 tbsp. sugar
9 tbsp. white vinegar
One orange zest
Panda Express Orange Chicken Preparation Instructions
- Coat the thigh pieces with salt, pepper, egg and oil
- Mix it all together. Salt and pepper plays a big role in their taste and egg is going to help later
- In another bowl, add the cornstarch with flour and combine properly. Some cooks like to leave out the flour and go with only cornstarch. Flour can add consistency and a thickness which will make it similar to the one at Panda Express.
- Place to heat. You can use Wok or any suitable heating method
- Place the chicken pieces in the egg mix then transfer to the flour bowl.
- While they are frying, you should make the sauce.
- Mix all the ingredients of the sauce starting from cornstarch to orange zest and leave it aside. You are going to need that later for boiling.
- Make the orange zest, ensure you washed the fruit carefully. For orange flavor in any dish, orange zest is best. It also sometimes helps in decorations.
- Turn over the chicken so that each side is perfectly cooked. When they are almost one, add the ginger minced and red chili peppers.
- Turn off the heat of the sauce that you boiled and also the chicken and mix them all together. If you have garlic on hand, peel them and slice them too. They should also be minced and not that much visible when you add them to the chicken and sauce.
- Serve it warm with rice or noodles.
Panda Express Orange Chicken Nutritional Facts
Orange chicken is a protein and not a carbohydrate. Even though the restaurant claims it has 44g of carbohydrates and 13g of protein, you take a separate side to fill your stomach. If you have Chow Mein or any kind of rice, it will become a complete meal.
One thing to notice is that it has a lot of sodium so if you are not allowed to have it, do not make this. If you are allowed to eat it but in less amount, there are ways you can reduce it. One of them is by not adding salt to your rice or the noodles during boiling them.
Panda Express Orange Chicken Preparation do and don’ts
- If you want, you can drizzle a little amount of butter over the rice or noodles you made for added taste.
- If the chicken is still pink it means that you need to cook it a little longer.
- Do not forget to add the salt and pepper because without it the taste would be bland.
- Do not mix raw chicken with other ingredients, it should be separated and clean the spot where you kept it with an antibacterial. It should help in preventing bacterial illness.
- When dealing with chicken, you make to ensure that they are cooked properly. Sometimes, they appear to be cooked whereas they remain raw from the inside.
- Do not prepare the chicken in the oven because it will not be prepared evenly. There can be chances of food poisoning if you are preparing the chicken in the oven.
- If you are using frozen chicken pieces, you have to cook them a little longer to guarantee that they are fully cooked.